Benjamin Franklin said in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes. But I’d like to add a third certainty: spam.In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death, taxes and spam. Click To Tweet
Akismet is one of the best anti-comment spam plugins available for your WordPress blog. It comes from WordPress parent company, Automattic, so it works seamlessly and is updated regularly to keep on top of the latest spam strategies. The plugin comes preinstalled on new WordPress installs, but you need an API key to activate the plugin. This guide will show you how to get a free Akismet API key and start protecting your blog from comment spam.
How to Get a Free Akismet API Key in 8 Easy Steps
- Go to your plugins list and click Activate your Akismet account at the top of the screen.
- You need an API key to activate your account so click Get your API key.
- You’ll be taken to the Akismet website. Click Get an Akismet API key to create your account.
- Click Get started under the basic plan option. If you want one of the premium plans, now is the time to select it.
- If you already have a WordPress.com account you can sign in here (if you were logged in you may have skipped this step).
If you don’t have a WordPress.com account, enter your details to create one.
- Move the slider along to the left till it says $0.00/year (ignore the sad face!). Enter your name and click continue.
- Your API key has been generated. Copy it and return to your WordPress dashboard.
- Paste you API key into the box and click Use this key.