You’ve decided you want to start a blog and you want to self-host it using WordPress, you’ve brainstormed domain names, done the research and have a list of potential names. The next thing you need is a web hosting service. This post gives step by step instructions for registering for a Bluehost web hosting account.
This post is part of the Blog Cogs Start Blogging With WordPress Today tutorial.
- Start Blogging Today with This WordPress Tutorial
- Choosing the Right Domain Name for Your Blog
- Registering for a Bluehost Web Hosting Account
- How to Install WordPress on Your Domain
- Optimizing the WordPress Settings
- Installing WordPress Plugins
- Install These WordPress Plugins Now!
- Choosing and Installing a WordPress Theme
- SEO Optimize Your WordPress Blog Posts
- Improving Your WordPress Blog Security
What is a Web Hosting Service?
A web hosting service (or web host) is a company that provides space on a server that you can lease for a fee. To put it in the context of a physical business, the web host is the store and your files are the stock. A web host provides you with space to store your files.
There are many web hosts out there. Here’s a list of some of the most popular that cater for WordPress users (updated 12-June-16):
I use Bluehost myself, and have always found their products and customer service to be excellent.
Step-by-step Guide to Signing up for a Bluehost Web Hosting Account
Here’s a step by step guide to signing up for a Bluehost web hosting account. Go to the Bluehost registration page, and then follow the slideshow below:
- Look at that great price! Click get started now to, err, get started now.
- Choose your plan. The basic is fine for most people and you can always upgrade later.
- If you’ve got a domain name, enter it on the right. If not, enter the domain name you’d like on the left and click next to see if it’s available. If it’s already taken, you’ll be offered some similar alternatives or you can search again for another one.
- Enter your personal details.
- Choose your package. Longer contract equals better value. Do you need the optional extras? Not really, no.
- Enter your credit card details or click on more payment options to pay by PayPal. Tick the T&Cs box and click submit.
- Almost there! Click create your password.
- Enter a password or, better still, use the password generator to generate a very secure one. Keep a copy in a safe place. Tick the T&Cs box and hit create
- You’ll receive an email with all your account details (minus your password for security).
- Go to www.bluehost.com and log in to your brand new web-hosting account!
Next: How to Install WordPress on Your Domain
Now you’ve got your domain and web host, it’s time to install the WordPress software on your domain. Click the button below to get started.